Monday, October 25, 2010

Week 12 Reflection

I think generally the blog was an effective tool for learning purposes. It created a forum for discussion that was more continuous and ongoing than classes and it was also helpful for me in allowing time to think and consider other people’s propositions carefully and to articulate a response that comes out as you intend it to.

The only difficulty I had with the blog as a learning tool was that its format was quite narrative, it seemed as though the whole semester’s posts were contemporaneous, so currency lost its importance. The material was not sorted into threads, and was all available at the same time (with a lot of scrolling), which was a little overwhelming.

This unit definitely reaffirmed my perception of myself as a cyborg. I think the materials that were used and the order in which they were used brought together the cyborg theory throughout the semester in a constructive way. Learning about Piccinini and considering the issues of women, work and the integrated circuit certainly gave me more dimensions to consider my cyborg self-perception from.

What I liked most about the unit was that it brought together a variety of theories and theorists in a way that made them relevant and related to current developments in gaming and social networking. The discussion generated in the classroom was insightful and enjoyable. I think it was a well-facilitated environment for learning and an even platform for speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment