Friday, October 22, 2010

Emily M the converted Cyborg (week 12)

I was very skeptical about the use of Blogs at the beginning of the semester. I think this was in part due to the perceptions I had of Bloggers; as people obsessed with one subject and who had nothing else to do but to sit at home and rant about it. By using Blogs as a reasearch tool and a form of entertaining the last few weeks I have realised that yes, some people seem to have all the time in the world to Blog about the most banal thing and that some people are experts in their field and have something to express.
Using this Blog have also been a really interesting exercise. Once I started I felt that I had an outlet to type the ideas that weren't fully formed enough to say in the tute and to really think things through before sharing them with the world. It has also been awesome reading this Blog. I have really enjoyed reading what everyone else has been thinking and how everyone has been reacting to the material from the unit. It has helped me by hearing lots of opinions and helped me to form my own. So thank you everyone, for sharing on this Blog, I have found it so useful!
Am I a cyborg? Well if I had to answer that question at the beginning of semester I probably would have thought of me as a Terminator-type figure and would have immediately said no. But as I sit here watching a movie, texting two separate bosses about work, curling my hair for Guild Ball, while checking my facebook, email, uni email, guild email, on-line shopping order and texting a friend about which pres we are going to before the ball in 20 minutes... while blogging, well, without the technology that is seamlessly a part of how I live my life, I think I would be an entirely different person. My identity is constantly being formed and manipulated different technologies which makes me a Cyborg (and proud of it).

No comments:

Post a Comment