Thursday, October 21, 2010

Week 12 reflection

I think it's difficult for a person to say whether they consider themselves a cyborg or not because 'cyborg' means different things to different people. I recognise the huge impact technology has had on the way we live as well as on our physical bodies (from caesarians to vaccinations to braces to knee reconstructions) but I don't feel comfortable calling myself a cyborg even after this unit.

I'm of two minds regarding the use of blogs. In a way it was good to see what other people wrote in their posts but on the other hand, I would have preferred to maybe have a longer tutorial to continue our discussions in person - we always seemed to run out time when we were discussing really interesting issues. The blog was also less effective because I didn't always know everyone by name and so it was difficult to recognise who was writing each blog.

I think that as one of only four core women's studies units, this unit should have had more emphasis on gender and feminism than it did. I found that a lot of the time we were just talking about technology generally and it wasn't always being brought back to ideas about gender and feminist thought. However, I did enjoy most of the unit. I felt at times that some of the articles were a bit 'out there' and I didn't enjoy reading them (the virtual rape article for example) but that is probably just because of my view on the issues. The tutorial groups were also a bit big - especially when we're talking about issues that can be quite sensitive sometimes a smaller tutorial would be more appropriate. It also gives everyone a chance to give their opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment